Saturday, August 6, 2011

Muck Fichigan

63 miles. I’m really getting the hang of this biking thing. Unfortunately I was going to do 70 but the effing rain starting coming on my journey. Had to turn around and by the time I got back I was drenched, the rain had slowed down, and another phone was ruined. Yes, another one. I really really need to stop that. I got yet another one at verizon, they seriously know me by name by now the amount of times I’ve been in there the past week (4 if you were wondering).  This is the last and final time I am buying a new phone. I got insurance again just in case though.  Because we all know I’m can be quite clumsy out there.  On the bright side, I saw KC in singin’ in the rain last night with Jackie (unfortunately Mal pal was sick) and I was able to sing “singin’ in the rain” while it was raining with me on jarvis.  Oh, and Jarvis got a bath, so that’s another tick on the bright side of things.
The reason for my title today...other than the obvious reasons.  I was riding on river road coming up to a crossing.  I clearly had the right away and a guy on a bike cut me off and what did I see on his back? A flipping Michigan jersey.  Eff that. 
I’m really not that upset about it and it wasn’t a big deal at all but I like to heighten any chance I can to make fun of that state up north.

Topic of the week at work: trying to converse with patients who are confused.  Oh wait, I meant to say confused AND don’t speak english.  Times I wish I actually absorbed things from the measly 2 years of spanish I took in High School.  The lady had a raging UTI which was why she was confused and the nursing home told us that she “only spoke english when she wanted to”.  hmmm. only when she wanted to. great. Well, that meant for her she would ramble in spanish that none of us could really understand, we would google words in spanish to ask her, she wouldn’t answer them, and she would randomly burst into some english “when she wanted to”.  It was one of the most challenging admissions I have helped with on the floor to date.  Thank goodness a spanish speaking nurse came on in the morning.  It is so hard for me when I can’t understand when someone is trying to communicate but I just don’t get it.  Whether it be in the hospital or in day to day life. It just stinks...you sit there and try so hard to get it  but there is some missing piece.  Some sort of link that got lost between that person and you.  Just down right frustrating.  I hope that I can be better at these situations whenever they pop up again.  Any suggestions for next time that are better than googling spanish words? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment