Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Giving blood and saving a life

Very cliche title today. But so true. Working on the oncology floor of the hospital it seems as though I give a unit of blood or 2 at least once or twice every other week.  There was a night at work where 4 units of blood were used on one of my patients (2 of the bags went bad after some complications with getting an IV in/ a high fever ensued after starting one of them).  That is 4 different people who needed to donate to help out this one patient on one of his nights of stay! Are you getting what I’m saying to you?! We use a lot of blood on just our floor...and this is just our floor in our tiny hospital. 
I had a conversation with a patient of mine on Tuesday night about her cancer and how thankful she is to people who have helped her by giving blood.  She told me that she did not realize how important it is for people to give blood when they can, but she sure does know now! She has gotten so much blood that she now can “feel” when she needs it.  She knows when she is tired and dragging so much that a unit or 2 of blood will do her good.  After the unit she got ended she said to me “gosh I feel like a new person! Too bad it’s 3am”...I had to laugh. :)  
Moral of the story: give blood people.  Give as often as you can (if you don’t have a low hemoglobin level like I usually do. Grr.).  It literally will save a life.  You don’t have to be a superhero to save lives, just give some blood every 56 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment