Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Snake Tees and 4 12’s...

I have a lot to catch up with you all...haven’t written AGAIN in a while.  I’ve been busy on vacation/working 4 12 hour shifts straight.  I figured I would just update after I had all of them done (and 7 days off straight!!)
Well well. I left for Bethany beach, delaware last Sunday for the week with my family+Alana. So glad she could join our clan.    Jared’s parents came down for a few days as well.  I haven’t seen them since Em and Jared’s wedding I think! Always good to catch up! It was a week of good eats (of course, Mommy Ernzer was cooking so it was awesome), company, running and biking, and relaxing on the beach with a drink in hand  (only after 4 o clock was there a drink in hand...ok, maybe 3 o clock on some days). I ran every other day and biked on the other days. I was able to do about 5 miles running around the sea colony resort/boardwalk the days I ran and 20- 30 miles biking each time.  The 30 mile ride was absolute bliss: no wind, a few random hills, perfect temp, and very wide roads for me to not have to worry about traffic being a problem.  Oh, and it was right by the shore too...so gorgeous views! I wish every ride was like that. I guess I’ll have to not live in Ohio for that.  Maybe some day...
yay! share the road with us!

The runs were pretty perfect as well. I think the fact that I was on vacation and I knew I had a yummy breakfast to come back to when I was done made it that much better.

Then we spent the rest of the morning/afternoon on the beach. I think this was the first year I was actually able to spend more than an hour on the beach and not get bored.  Just laying there in the sun with the family was a blessing this week.  I don’t think I’ve had so much fun or laughed so hard in a long time.  Can’t get enough of that crew.  
enjoying the sun and our 4oclock bag
biking over to play tennis
J-rod and wall-e
lana baby
Upon returning to Toledo, I was definitely bummed to be leaving everyone.  I was actually ok with coming back to work.  I am glad now that I had my mind set to work 4 in a row because I don’t think I could have done it otherwise.  And I had some pretty sweet patients/coworkers every night which made it that much better.  I had the same conversation with one of my patients who was getting 2 units of blood and a unit of platelets about the importance of giving blood and how thankful he is for people who do (see second to last post).  So thanks to everyone for continuing to give blood!!!  
I also had a lesson on heparin drips and the importance of monitoring lab levels of ptt and ufh as well as just looking for signs and symptoms of bleeding.  One of his lab levels was normal (the one our hospital goes by) and the other one was way out of wack.  And he had some bleeding problems.  I spent most of one night trying to stop the bleeding while we finally turned off his heparin drip even though his lab levels we go by at UT were normal.  Which reminds me I need to email someone about this problem.  If we are using a lab that is not accurate then it is not safe for these patients! I will email someone now...
How was working 4 nights in a row you ask? Hard on my body? Yes, but not as bad as I thought it would be. Did I like it? Actually, yes, very much so.  I was able to have the same people back every night which made it so much better.  I love getting in a groove with things and getting to know the patients more and more each night.  Am I going to enjoy a nice margarita or 2 or 3 tonight with my girls? yes. On that note, time to take marley for a walk so I can start getting up and ready to go! 

No comments:

Post a Comment