Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Hello pavement!

I’ve felt like a normal person the past few days! It is unbelievable how many things you can get done when you don’t sleep in past 12.  I knew this before (and I’m sure the majority of you know this), but I guess I had forgotten after getting used to the night shift thing.  I have been up before 9 the past 3 days and it has been amazing.  Biked and/or ran in the morning time (I forgot how much I loved doing that right in the AM) and was able to get so much done around the apartment/run errands.  I hope I can nap or sleep in tomorrow for the sake of having to work tomorrow night.  This little break from work has been like a mini vacation minus the whole trip part of it.  It’s been wonderful regardless.  I think when I have breaks like this in my schedule I’m going to try to sleep less during the day...especially when it is getting to be absolutely beautiful out.  I can’t waste these wonderful days of summer when I know how awful these winters can get.  
Ok, enough about sleeping.  Just a short story of my ride today for you all...
I have had so many visions of myself doing this at some point, so I knew it would happen eventually.  I just went out for a short 15 mile ride in hopes of running a little bit afterwards.  Which thankfully did happen and reminded me of how much I want to do a triathlon again.  But that’s not the point of the story....got side tracked sorry.  I was about 4 miles from my apartment on my way back when I came to an intersection that actually has cars coming through quite frequently as opposed to many of the roads I travel on.  I slowed down and saw a car coming so unclipped my right foot so I could rest for a second.  (I have those pedals where you have to clip in your shoes to them and unclip when you get off of the bike.  It is not a problem, especially when you aren’t stopping that much at all and once you get used to it: see Cycling pedals 101 below)  My body seemed to not want to lean to the right side (where my foot was unclipped) and knocked me over to the left.  Long story short I didn’t have time to unclip the left one so I ate some pavement, well a lot of pavement.  Ouch...right on my sunburn from Sunday.  Nobody even stopped to see if I was ok. :(.  There was one car that passed, so I guess I’ll give that car the benefit of the doubt and say that I was pretty embarrassed so I’m kind of glad they did not stop.  Only came out with a scratch on myself, and a tiny one on Jarvis.  Nothing to write home about.  Hope you laughed a little bit at my expense from my story.  If not, well I’m sorry I’m not funny enough for you.  Anyways, I’m going to enjoy the rest of this pretty day.  Included in the day for me? Glee finale (obviously), listening to my new lady gaga cd (you all need to go buy it, for reals.), and cooking up a yummy dinner at some point.  Hope you all have a wonderful evening!



Cycling Pedals 101: cycling pedals, or ‘clipless pedals’ are pedals that lock into cleats attached to the bottom of special cycling shoes, much like a ski boot.
 The idea is simple – with a solid connection between your feet and the pedal, you can “pull” on the upstroke as well as “push” on the downstroke.  Thus you get 360 degrees of power instead of only pushing down the entire time.  Your feet are less likely to slide around or off the pedals, and with a stiff-soled cycling shoe, you transfer more power into your pedal stroke.  All together, clipless pedals make you dramatically more efficient on a bike.

http://triumphtriathlon.com/2011/02/17/new-triathlete-question-clipless-pedals/

No comments:

Post a Comment