Friday, May 13, 2011

USE COMMON SENSE

It has been QUITE the eventful past day for me.  As in, something out of the ordinary for me.  Something maybe worth reading about for you?...
Yesterday morning I decided a bike ride was in order.  I needed to give the pounding of my legs a little break for the pittsburgh marathon relay this sunday.  And I just haven’t been out on my bike for a while so I was itching to get out on a nice day.  Not too windy, hot, and sunny is exactly what it was yesterday.  I had my tanktop on and still need to invest in some bike shorts, but I was so excited to get out on the road that it didn’t matter to me at all bike shorts or regular bike shorts (I guess I paid for it today though...that and the not caring about sunscreen thing)  I reminded myself one more time that I really need to get a patch kit for my bike before I go out again, but said screw it, I’m going and I don’t really care.  “I’ll be fine”...last time I’ll say those words ever again.  I took my phone in hopes of capturing a picture of the reality of the back country roads I ride on. 

I had a great ride...on my way to being over 30 miles yesterday and feeling good in every which way (other than not realizing I was burning profusely).  I even made it to a cute little town called Luckey, Ohio complete with a home cooking restaurant, bar, corner store, church, and little elementary school.  Adorable.  I looked at my milage and saw 15 miles completed on my journey and figured it would be a good idea to turn around, total being 30 miles today.  I made it a little over 7 miles and grabbed my water bottle for a sip.  Well me being my clumsy self let it slip out of my hand and ran over it with my back tire...thus starts my realization for how far I still am from home as my back tire started to swerve.  I am still thanking God that I brought my phone with me on this ride, I almost went out with nothing but some water....I know, I’ve learned my lesson.  I got my first burn of the season while I was waiting for my friend Mallory to pick me up (shout out to mal! Thank you! thank you! thank you!!!!)  and I also got extremely dehydrated.  Made for a fun night at work of being hot then cold and exhausted beyond belief from the ride/dehydration.  And all my patients were asking ME if I was ok! They were trying to take care of their nurse! I appreciated it, but I know that’s not how it should be!  I guess what this has taught me is first off, always wear sunscreen.  I am pale, I can’t fight that anymore.  Secondly: always bring necessary supplies on a ride: phone, ID, money, extra tube for tire, pump, water.  Anything else anyone can think of? 
I need to use some more common sense is what this stupidity comes to....ready, go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment