Tuesday, May 10, 2011

This ride is not for me

Ugh, most boring night at work. Ever. 3 patients at night is crazy....but it was nice to have a break for a change! Back again tonight. I went to mass at 8 this morning and was able to get to bed by 9:30 this morning.  I woke up around 4 and went on a short 35 minute run around Perrysburg.  It was so nice to see people out walking around levis commons, a lot of families for mother’s day! Shout out to mama Ernzer for how awesome she always has been for me!  
Note about a patient I have taken care of for the past few nights I’ve worked.  She is a young married mom who was just diagnosed with stage 4 cervical cancer in April.  Her kids came to visit her today for mother’s day.  They may be there when I go in tonight.  There are pictures of them, her husband, and drawings and cards plastered all over her walls of the hospital room.  I think sometimes I go into work and have to stop and think about who I am really taking care of.  I try so hard to try and put myself in her shoes and imagine what my life would be like.  And even though I work with her so much I just cannot even imagine half of what is going on with her.  She has not seen the sunshine, slept in her own bed, been in anything but a hospital gown, taken a real shower, run after her kids, had a home made meal, or had any sort of privacy for a month now.  And that is not even all of what she hasn’t been able to do.  She has been through many procedures and will be starting chemotherapy on Wednesday.  Why am I sharing this with you? I am putting faces to why I am going to be doing the pelotonia this august.  It is for her and her family.  The miles of training I will be putting in are for the people that don’t have to opportunity to see the sunshine everyday. This ride is for them. Not for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment